Office: Δ1.12 (Office hours: Thursday, 16.00-18.00, Friday, 12.00-14.00)
- Culture and New Technologies: interdisciplinary approaches (Semester 1, until Fall 2019)
- Archaeology and Prehistoric Cultures in the Aegean (Semester 1, until Fall 2019)
- Space and Culture: Interdisciplinary Approaches (Semester 6)
- Digital Cultural Heritage (Semester 7)
- Geographic Information Systems in History and Archaeology (Semester 8, until Spring 2020)
- Internship (Scientist in charge)
- Urban Space & Geographic Representation (Semester 3)
- PhD in Archaeology (2009). Department of History and Archaeology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTh), Greece. Research topic: Excavation Methodology and Information System Design for Archaeological Data Management.
- MA in GIS and Spatial Analysis in Archaeology, UCL Institute of Archaeology (UK) (2002). Institute of Archaeology, University College London (UCL), United Kingdom. Dissertation topic: Detecting the Growth of Neolithic and Early Bronze Age Knossos through the Modelling of the Depositional Evidence: A GIS Application.
- Degree in History and Archaeology. Department of History and Archaeology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
- Digital Cultural Heritage
- Digital technology and archaeological practice
- GIS applications in Archaeology
- 3D spatial modelling
- Digital data management, preservation and re-use
- Prehistoric archaeology
- Archaeology of Athens
- Space Syntax theory and applications
Books and Edited Volumes
- Κatsianis, M. 2012. Excavation Methodology and Information System Design for Archaeological Data Management, Thessaloniki: Kyriakides (in Greek)
- Vavouranakis, G., Katsianis, M., Papadatos, I., Mouliou, M. & P. Petridis (eds.) 2017. Digital pasts for the Present. Proceedings of the 2nd conference on Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology Greek Chapter (CAA-GR). Athens, 22-23/12/2016. Athens: Department of History and Archaeology. National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- Weiberg, E., Bevan, A., Kouli, K., Katsianis, M., Woodbridge, J., Bonnier, A., … Shennan, S. (2019). Long-term trends of land use and demography in Greece: A comparative study. The Holocene, 29(5), 742–760. https://doi.org/10.1177/0959683619826641
- Katsianis, M., Lampraki, S., Theocharaki, A.-M., Pigaki, M., Costaki, L., & Papaefthimiou, E. 2019. Reconnecting a Fragmented Monument through Digital Mapping: The City Walls of Athens. Studies in Digital Heritage, 2(2), 177-195. https://doi.org/10.14434/sdh.v2i2.24440
- Tankosic, Z. & Katsianis, M. 2017. Cycladic or Mainland? The Neolithic Landscapes of Southern Euboea. In Sarris, A., Kalogiropoulou, E., Kalayci, T. & L. Karimali (eds.) Communities, Landscapes, and Interaction in Neolithic Greece, Proceedings of the international conference, Rethymno, 29-30/5/2015. Institute for Mediterranean Studies. 234-246.
- Katsianis, M., Mavridis, F., Tankosic, Z. & Tsipidis, S. 2017. A 3D spatial approach to post-excavation study on the example of the Aghia Triada cave in Karystos. In Ž. Tankosić, F. Mavridis & M. Kosma (eds.) An island between two worlds: The Archaeology of Euboea from Prehistoric to Byzantine Times. Proceedings of International Conference, Eretria, 12-14/7/2013. Norwegian Institute at Athens. 133-143.
- Papadakis, G., Kouroupis, S., Katsianis, M. & Alexopoulos, Y. 2015. 3D modelling and navigation tools for the data management system of the Acropolis Restoration Service. In Papadopoulos, C., Paliou, E., Chrysanthi, A., Kotoula, E. & Sarris, A. (eds). Archaeological research in the digital age. Proceedings of the 1st conference on Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology Greek Chapter (CAA-GR). Rethymno, 6-8/3/2014. Rethymno: IMS-FORTH. 197-204.
- Katsianis, M. 2013. Preparing the Paliambela Kolindros Archaeological Project digital archive for long term preservation. In Archaeology Data Service / Digital Antiquity Guides to Good Practice. Archaeology Data Service, University of York, UK. http://guides.archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/g2gp/CS_ACE-AUTH-Katsianis
- Katsianis, M. 2012. Conceptual and Practical Issues in the Use of GIS for Archaeological Excavations. In Chrysanthi, A., Flores, M. P. & Papadopoulos, C. (eds.) Thinking Beyond the Tool: Archaeological Computing & the Interpretive Process, BAR International Series, Oxford: Archaeopress, 51-71.
- Katsianis, M. 2012. Space Syntax as a carrier of Political Ideology. The Agora of Athens in the Classical and Roman Times, Diachronia, Suppl. B’, 79-98 (in Greek).
- Katsianis, M., Tsipidis, S., Kotsakis, K. & Koussoulakou, A. 2008. A 3D Digital Workflow for Archaeological Intra-Site Research Using GIS, Journal of Archaeological Science 35 (3), 655-667.